Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Help my sisters just told me that they are not going by my…

Customer Question
Second opinion] please help...

Second opinion] please help my sisters just told me that they are not going by my moms Will, can you help me

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Ks

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Well my mom last will, I dont believe its right for my sister to change the will,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My sister keep telling me and my other kids we will not get nothing, so they said that they are not going by the will. please help

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/20/2017
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You are entirely correct and the executor of the estate has no legal authority to do anything other than what the will says. If they are trying to do something different then you can file a formal objection with the probate court and let the judge know that the executor is not following the will.

.

This is called a "motion to compel" and it basically forces the executor to appear in front of the judge and explain why they are violating their fiduciary and legal duties to the estate and the beneficiaries..

.

But if you don't have an attorney representing your interests, you might want to talk to one to see if they could help with filing the motion to compel if the executor isn't actually following the will.... not just saying that they aren't.. .

.

They might be saying that just to irritate and upset you..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much