Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mother passed away 1.5 years ago with no estate and no…

Customer Question
My mother passed away...

My mother passed away 1.5 years ago with no estate and no will. Since then a cousin of hers passed and left her ~$30K that we have been contacted about. The issue is no will. For the state of Maine, how do I proceed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maine.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have a small insurance policy where I was identified as beneficiary and power of attorney for living will.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have 3 siblings that I would be distributing the benefit too.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/18/2017
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You would have to file a probate case in the local probate court where mother lived to open an estate for mother so that the estate could receive the $30K from the cousin. Once appointed, you would have the legal authority to gather all her assets, including the 30K

.

Then you as Administrator would settle mother's estate, pay any existing debts, and then distribute the remaining money to the heirs at law, which would be all the children, (or their heirs) equally.

.

.

thanks

Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 7 months ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much