Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

If unhand stored property somewhere amdnthat person dies…

Customer Question
If unhand stored property...

If unhand stored property somewhere amdnthat person dies idol i have rights regardimg that property? This is in Orange CountybCA

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Hintingtonbbeach its some boxes in a garage

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No. I got a call saying the owner had just died and I needed to pick up my stuff but then he said nobody would be there for a week and then he wanted it done the next day and he said he's going to throw it away so I've had about 5 days notice verbally

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/18/2017
Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a CA licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, there isn't any law that governs what someone can do with property if you don't come to retrieve it within the time that they require. The short answer is that this other party doesn't have any legitimate authority to destroy your stuff without your consent.

You may want to consider just sending a cease and desist letter. I know of a service where a law office will prepare a cease and desist letter for your signature. II also know of something that can help you with this situation. If you click here, you can request an attorney-prepared cease and desist letter for a flat fee (usually around $250). Turnaround time is less than 48 hours. Take a look at the link and fill out the contact form if you’re interested.

What other questions did you have for me?

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney