Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My Dad passed away leaving a Will and Living Trust. HIs

Customer Question
My Dad passed away...

My Dad passed away leaving a Will and Living Trust. HIs lawyers are now his third wife's advisors. I was advised to get my own attorney if I was to contest my Dad's living trust. The will part cannot be contested. My concern is that his third wife has been difficult to communicate with who had chosen to be one of my Dads Trustees only to be paid from my Dad's estate, Dad's attorney has not returned phone calls to me, and the other two Trustees are either too old to want to be involved who was Dad's accountant and the other is also an accountant who is too busy with other accounts. Dad's wife did not return my phone calls ever when my Dad was in the hospital. She is now in charge of my Dad's belongings and set to distribute my Dad's things ,yet she has continued to not return my phone calls. What do I do under these circumstances ? She is making a list of my Dad's belongings and I am concerned. She is not necessarily honest because I have caught her with untruths. I also think she is playing family favorites with an older sister who has only recently come in to play since her most recent divorce and Dad's wife also has no children of her own. What do I do about the uncommunication and his wife playing God so to speak with my Dad's belongings. I do believe that my Dad was under duress to make financial decisions later in his life when he was under serious health conditions due to his third wife placing pressure on him concerned only about her life. She and I have not had an ugly relationship so I am a little miffed about her take on life and we certainly are not family friends at this point. What do I do now that Dad has died and his assets that continue to feed into his Living Trust and his belongings that third wife has control over. The Trust was able to be contested only up to 90 days after attorney disbursed Dad's Living Trust and also his Will. What do you recommend. He died in March 2017, trust and will and Dad cannot protect his own interests and I am not sure what he has left because his third wife, also made a comment that she was interested in contesting my Dad's will only because of the amount of time that she and Dad had been married (almost 20 years), he may have other banking assets that pay into his banking accounts. I had asked his attorney about my right to know what financial assets that my Dad had left and he said that I had no right to know. What to do now? May 17,2017 is when Dad's Will and Trust were mailed out. What do you advise?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have a my Dad's will and living trust and they were ammended within the last year before my Dad's death.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2017
Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Hi,unfortunately, after reviewing your question, I have reason to believe that your questions are far too broad for me to answer without fully understanding the nature of your property, all the parties involved, and what your goals are. I am very sorry; however, I can and will opt out to let another person take over this question if they have the time and opportunity to answer. Thank you.

only wanted a few questions asked. I thought I was asking questions online. Sorry you could not help.
Estate Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

I am a different Attorneys and it will be my pleasure to assist you. Where in California did your father reside at the time of his passing.

Redding, California
Thank you for the clarification. Please let me know your specific questions so we can get you headed in the right direction.