Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Is a girlfriend allowed to be listed as a primary

Customer Question
Is a girlfriend allowed...

Is a girlfriend allowed to be listed as a primary beneficiary when the owner of the policy passes away?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Colorado. The owner is still married as well and has two children

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The life insurance policy indicates that the girlfriend is the primary beneficiary and that it is stated on there that the girlfriend is stated as the wife. He was still married to the mother of the children. Policy is under Mutual of Omaha

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If there is no one else that is listed on the life insurance policy since the beginning of the premium first paid what happens to the benefits

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/15/2017
Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
Such a relationship is a proper beneficiary. It should be expressly designated and insurer must honor it.Would you kindly rate me five stars - that is the only way I get credit by the website. Thank you!
Infolawyer, Attorney