Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My wife and I have been married for 49 years and we own our…

Customer Question
My wife and I have...
My wife and I have been married for 49 years and we own our home. I would like to transfer ownership of this property to her. We have a will and power of attorney in place if needed. How do I go about transferring this property.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/14/2017
Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

Very easily. Someone in your situation fills out an interspousal transfer deed, and then files it with the parish clerk (also called the "recorder)". The interspousal transfer deed gives all your interest to her.

You may file a quit claim deed or a warranty deed. Check with your tax professional to see which one would suit your estates better.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.