Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My husband died and I am named as personal representative.

Customer Question
My husband died and...

My husband died and I am named as personal representative. His son from a previous marriage and myself are listed as 50% each beneficiaries. Can I liquidate the account and send a letter to distribute the cash?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

WA

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Death Certificate, beneficiary designation, and will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that the son and myself may wish to put the proceeds into a beneficiary IRA but I do not want to hold any investments and be subject to losses so I want to put everything into cash before disbursing to beneficiaries

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Estate Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 8 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive estate planning and administration experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I am sorry to hear of your husband's passing. It is never easy to lose a loved one.

Answer: Yes, you may liquidated the assets of your husband's estate prior to distribution. You should just confirm that the son from a prior marriage has not issue with this arrangement, in order to avoid any dispute.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.