Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Illinois Friend question(yes realy) no will. 1 child. 2

Customer Question
Illinois Friend question(yes realy)...

Illinois Friend question(yes realy) no will. 1 child. 2 grandsons. Does child inherit all. No g child inheirtance at all. Do Gand children receive anything? 401k beni grandson. Do house other bills etc need to be paid by estate before gson receive s 401k.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

..

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/13/2017
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If there is no will then if there is no spouse, then the child would inherit everything under default law.

.

The grandchildren wouldn't receive anything unless there is a will that leaves them something.

.

As for a 401K, it would have a beneficiary, like a life insurance policy, and that beneficiary would receive those funds. That money passes outside probate so it is not considered part of the person's estate and is not subject to creditors.

.

So no, it is not subject to creditor claims like bills, funeral expenses, or other debts..

.

.

thanks