Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My sister passed away a year ago and left everything to me…

Customer Question
My sister passed away...

My sister passed away a year ago and left everything to me and my brother. My sister new she was dying and gave me instructions on what to pay. I payed her mortage and bought her nieces and nephew Christmas gifts and wrote a check for my brother for his portion of what was left. When I went to sell the house I was told I would need an estate lawyer because of the house value. When I got a lawyer they told me the will wasn't valid because it did not have enough signatures so now I have the other siblings going crazy about her checking account information. They said I committed fraud and theft and the lawyer wants her checking account information. What do i do now. Are they going to send me to jail

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I love I'm Iowa but the estate is in Chicago Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have a copy of her will. Everything else was verbal. She new she was dying and gave me instructions on what to do so I just did what she asked

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/12/2017
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 9 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

My condolences for your loss.

How did you access her bank accounts? Were on her account as a joint owner?