Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I want to set up a survivorship will (FLA) so that it will…

Customer Question
I want to set...

I want to set up a survivorship will (FLA) so that it will go directly to my husband and avoid probate. Can I have the survivorship will set up to go directly to my son instead for the surviving parents care. My son is listed on a lot of our proper and I want it to pass to him without probate. Can you help? Are survivorship wills the best kind in Florida?

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

What do you mean - evidence> Like something from the bank showing his name is ***** ***** accounts also >> Etc?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to take care of my husband if I pass first - his memory is not so good and Robert has been so good in taking care of him, that I want the home and other assets to go to Robert directly for care of his father. I am in the process of putting his name on all of our accounts as an additional emergency signer in case something happens to me first - I know I can trust him to take care of his father - he is doing it now. But I dont's know how to put his name on our home - is a deed the best way>

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/11/2017
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

To change the title to the property to joint tenancy with your son, you could use a quit claim deed and grant the title in the deed from all owners of record to you and your son or you and your husband and son, as joint tenants with right of survivorship.

All current owners must sign and all the new joint tenants must be named as the grantees, even if they are already in title, to create a valid joint tenancy.

I would strongly recommend that you consult your tax preparer or estate planner before making any changes to title, since you can, inadvertently, trigger a taxable event if not planned correctly.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?