Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My great grandmother died and said that her property was to…

Customer Question
My great grandmother died and...
My great grandmother died and said that her property was to be sold and split between my son and my aunt and uncle- the only thing left was her house sold it was split ways between them.
Does my sons half of the sale of the house have to go into a trust - I think the will states she would like it to but is it required by law that it has too-
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/10/2017
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Does the will provide for a trust to be established? Is your son a minor?

He is 4 - if it’s says a trust should be established does the executor have to establish one or can he just send a check

Thank you for the additional information.

Someone will need to establish a trust. The executor can not send the check to a 4 yr old.

Unless the will provides, the executor has no obligation to establish a trust.

You will need to establish the trust or a custodial account with the bank. You, as his parent, can act as trustee or custodian.

Speak with the bank and they can help you with the paperwork.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Did you have further questions?

I do not know what your last post means. Did you wish to continue?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney