Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My family had known this man all their lives just about and…

Customer Question
My family had known this...
My family had known this man all their lives just about and he always saw to helping my Dad and Mom. upon both of their deaths I continued to check on him also since he had always been so good to my family. He and I started a relationship which he was about 11 years older then myself but we enjoyed each others company and loved to dance. One day he asked me to drive him to his doctor which I did and he had not told me why but upon arriving there I found out it was a lung expert. He had the lung disease caused by asbestos. We were told that day he had little less then 6 months to 8 to live. I told him I wanted to take care of him because I loved him. He didn't tell me no so we had hospital bed and one of the at home service to come to my house to see him. He has 2 sons and unbeknownst to me he had told them nothing at all. One day one of them called and asked if he was here and what was wrong. I said I didn't have the right to give that answer so I handed the phone to his Dad. He did tell him and a couple of weeks later his Dad passed. His younger son which was the one that called and checked on him told me that he had told them both that because I had cared for him that he wanted them to respect me by giving me some of the large sum of money they would receive. The younger son gave me $2,000 and he gave his son a check to give me for the same amount. One day he called me and asked me if his brother had given me anything at all and I told him no and I didn't expect him to. A son that will stop for breakfast on his way to my house after being called and told his Dad didn't have long to live, I didn't expect him to obey his Dad. Just was wondering if I had any grounds to stand on with this request from these boys Dad. I don't think I do but just wanted to know
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/10/2017
Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Ok thank you.

Great, thanks. Just a moment....

Thank you very much for your patience. I'm still reviewing your situation...

Ok, so if I understand, you're wondering if you can keep the $2,000 that the younger son gave you from the father's estate, correct?

No, I have no problem with this. Just wondered since their Dad had asked the sons to share the wealth was there anything that I could do to get them to do as their Dad had asked. I'm sure its not since he asked them and nothing is on paper.

Thanks for clarifying. Generally, a party can have their property distributed upon their death however they want. However, they usually have to put this in a will for it to be valid and enforced. Oral wills are not generally allowed, thus unless he wrote it down on a piece of paper stating that you were to get a portion of his estate, he signed it, and dated, it, then you would have to prove to an LA probate court that this was his final will and testament.