Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I live with my sister in my deceased parents home. She is…

Customer Question
I live with my...

I live with my sister in my deceased parents home. She is trying to evict me. My mom left a will which I have in my possesion, which wasnt given to probate that states the house is to go to all the 5 siblings but she can live the rest of her life in the house. I have been living in the house for 3 years. I came to live with my mom and sister, who is trying to get me out, before my mom died. I left my home and came to help care for her because I am a RN. My sister had been living with my mom for 10 years. I just found out that when my mom died my sister put the deed in her name without my knowledge. Now she wants to evict me. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

MS

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do u mean

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No filing of the will after my mom died. I went to the court house with my sister and they said that the estate automatically goes to the siblings. I dont know anything about the law, but I do know that my sister went behind my back and transferred the deed to her name

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/10/2017
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
If your sister forged the owner of record’s signature on a deed then, not only is the deed void, but your sister has committed a crime, as well.
Any interested party, including you, can open an estate in probate and get the will admitted. The probate court can order the sister’s deed withdrawn and implement the provisions of the will.
You can do this yourself, the forms are available from the clerk of the court, but you should probably have an attorney representing you. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspxIt is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Did you have further questions? Please let me know if your question was answered satisfactorily?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!