Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mom died-at one point had life ins. - cannot find out if…

Customer Question
My mom died-at one...

My mom died-at one point had life ins. - cannot find out if she had it at time of death-brother was power of attorney-denies knowledge of polict

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

None whatsoever

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Missouri law or ins. regulations will not let me know if she even had a policy-that is really strange

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/7/2017
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 9 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Life insurance is paid directly to the named beneficiary only, so it isn't part of the estate unless the estate is the named beneficiary. So if you and brother were the beneficiaries, the insurer would contact you both if either person submitted a claim for the proceeds. If only brother was the beneficiary, then all would go to him and it is a confidential contract.

.

But if you think that the policy might have been lost there are a couple of resources you can try to locate it.

.

The NAIC insurance locator can help:

.

http://naic.org/documents/consumer_alert_locate_lost_life_insurance_benefit.htm

.

And another service is MIB:

.

https://www.mib.com/lost_life_insurance.html

.

.

thanks

i have already contacted them-they tell me that privacy reasons will not let them even tell me if mom had a policy

Ok, then to be honest with you, you may be stuck here if brother says he doesn't know anything about the policy.. There may not be one in force, it might have lapsed, or he or someone else might have been named sole beneficiary..

.

But if there is a policy that is unclaimed, after several years, the insurer will turn the policy over to the state unclaimed property division so you might want to check there under her name to see if there was any abandoned accounts or policies that have been surrendered to the state.

.

.

thanks