Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Can an executor resign before an estate is settled and how…

Customer Question
Can an executor resign...

Can an executor resign before an estate is settled and how is a new one named?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The will names me as the executor.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just need a basic answer. Thanks.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/5/2017
Estate Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 8 months ago
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed probate attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

Estate Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 8 months ago

The executor my resign before the completion of the estate by filing a Petition. The court may order the resigning executor to file an accounting before releasing them of their obligations to the estate. If the Will states an alternate executor, that an individual will have the opportunity to serve as the successor executor. If that individual does not want to serve as successor executor, then anyone who qualifies, may petition the court to be the successor.

Answered clearly and distinctly. Thanks.
Estate Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 8 months ago

No problem! Please let me know if there is anything else I may help with. Please remember to rate my service. Thank you!