Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

Our Mother left her house to her two adult children and not

her long-time partner to whom...
Our Mother left her house to her two adult children and not her long-time partner to whom she was not married. The partner has now passed and his adult daughter is insisting that despite the will, she should be included in an equal share in the sale of the property because she feels her father was wrongly shut out. We had been planning on offering the daughter a portion of the proceeds of the sale, but not 1/3. If we do this, would we be opening ourselves up to a legal claim by her to get a 'fair share'?
10/23/2017
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. First, it's important to realize the daughter has no legal right to any share. Not being married and not being on the title, your mother's partner had no legal entitlement to any portion of the house and thus neither does the partner's daughter. So, she would not prevail in any legal pursuit. If you want to offer her something willingly, you can, but if you do so you would only want to do so if she is willing to sign a Settlement and Release Agreement agreeing and acknowleding the foregoing and that she is accepting this interest as a gift and agrees not to pursue any further legal claim to the property; not that she would have any chance of prevailing, but because defending lawsuits can be time and emotionally consuming and you certainly don't want to have given her a share to which she had no legal claim and then end up having to defend a frivolous law suit.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Richard, Attorney