Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

The trustee of my grandmother's trust claimed she lent

The trustee of my grandmother's...
The trustee of my grandmother's trust claimed she lent 50,000 to a business called C/Video in Jan 2015. After making four payments of 595.40, she said they went bankrupt. Many other items on the accounting's she has given me gave me a reason to question her. I have discovered that while it is true, the company did close in June like she claimed it did there is no bankruptcy on file and the owner was 97. Also, it appears she is a family member that is still using the same last name. She's listed as a current resident in the same home they live in which even lists the business at that address. She has so many AKA's its hard to tell if she was married to one of them or if its a maiden name. She's on various websites as a family member using both the name I know and their last name. They have been involved in many real estate deals since the 80's. This person listed as the owner has a son her age with the same name. I think she may have known the father was going to retire and took the money without their knowing it because she has also listed many other businesses on her accounting that do not exist or went out of business long ago.
She appears to have taken around 150,000 in trust money over the last two years. One of the attorneys on this site said that if I can prove she knew about the business going under she can be charged with a criminal complaint. How much evidence do I need to have for the district attorney to file charges? Does lying about the bankruptcy alone make this a criminal offense or do I need to get more proof she took the money?
10/21/2017
Legal Expert Justin

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. Yes, lying in a bankruptcy is a federal offense that she could be charged with.

How did she lie regarding her bankruptcy if no bankruptcy was ever filed?

She lied to me the beneficiary of the trust by saying she lent the money to someone that filed bankruptcy and therefore the money was gone. She just failed to mention that the guy she lent it to was either 97 or possibly her ex husband and they are possibly back together now and she lives with him where the business address is located now. f she really did lend the money to this man that he is related to her they share the same last name, home and have been dealing in real estate together since 1986... I think they were married but i cant get records in Santa Clara where I found all of the real estate deals at they don't do on line records.. II can t find anything in Santa Clara about it because they don't do on lime records.. divorce or even remarriage because it looks like she is living with him as his wife in the family home in san diego. real estate deals all the time since the 80's. eals together all the time even did it it was her immediate family member same name as in its either her dad and brother or her husband or maybe even her husband and she has since her last divorce renewed her relationship with him.. and that she is living with them in the same residence with the business owner that closed the business to retire at age 97 not go bankrupt also said she lost over 8,000 in trust money by transferring 200,000.00 out of the trust account and into what she said was stocks, bonds, and mutual funds. She has been using out of businesses that have been out of business for years as a way to claim expenses on the units to steal money. I have gone through all of them and checked them out to make sure.Do you think if walk into the police department in Santa Clara where she lives that the DA has a way to keep her from doing any more trust business because I am afraid she could sell these apartments and run with the money? I have a new trustee ready to take over. I'm entitled to choose once the one in there is gone. Is there anything I can do ahead of time to make sure she's not out doing anything she is not supposed to be like running or taking off with the original deeds something like that to cause problems?

Is the trust revocable or irrevocable?

Is the grandmother the beneficiary or are you the beneficiary? Is this a living trust?

My grandmother passed away in 2012 and I am the only beneficiary when I pass my son becomes the only one.
I alway thought a trust was revocable until death and then they become irrevocable right?
the computer is not allowing me to click on the stars to rate you but I will keep trying

Trusts can be form in many different ways. You should be able to rate me now. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 3, 4, or 5 star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Legal Expert Justin
Legal Expert Justin
Legal Expert Justin
Legal Expert Justin, Attorney