Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I have a living trust with myself and my husband as the

trustees. Should we have two...
I have a living trust with myself and my husband as the trustees. Should we have two pour over wills? or a joint one?
10/12/2017
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

It's best to have two. Joint wills can be problematic unless you're currently AND always in agreement with your spouse as to what is going to happen, who is going to be the trustee, etc... And it's easier to challenge a joint will than an individual one. So if I were in your position, you should each have individual pour-over wills.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Let say one passes away first, what will happened to the his/her will? will the residual estates held under the trust and surviving grantor/trustee oversees the trust?

It depends upon the terms of the will. Typically the will doesn't take effect until both pass, but when one passes, the other really can't do anything with the estate or assets in the estate.

my husband disinherit a child from a previous marriage on his P.OV. Will, does he need to state a reason? also, do I also have to mention anything about his intentions in my will? Thank you!

No ,no reason is needed. You don't have to mention anything about his intentions in your will.

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney