Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My father passed and my brother is the executor of the will.

Customer Question
My father passed and...

My father passed and my brother is the executor of the will. Do I have any rights in requesting to see the bank statements from my father

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New york

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Myself and my other siblings believe that he is hiding something

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Estate Law
10/7/2017
Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 10 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Thank you

Eventually, you could have the right to see the bank statements during a discovery period if there is a demand for an accounting in the estate proceeding. In other words, usually, bank statements are not provided to beneficiaries at the beginning of the process. However, the beneficiaries have a right to demand an accounting. After receiving the accounting, a beneficiary can object to it and demand bank statements. We can discuss more if you want to do so.

Hello again! Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars for the service I provided to you. Best regards.