Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

MY UNCLE RECENTLY PASSED. MY SISTER AND I TOOK CARE OF HIM…

Customer Question
MY UNCLE RECENTLY PASSED. MY...
MY UNCLE RECENTLY PASSED. MY SISTER AND I TOOK CARE OF HIM FOR A WHILE BECAUSE HE HAD DEMENTIA. WE WERE TOLD WE NEED TO PAY HIS FUNERAL AND SPEND HIS MONEY ON PERSONAL CARE TIL HE HAD TO GO TO NURSING HOME...SO WE DID. NOW WITH HIS PASSING MY SISTER IS IN CHARGE ACCORDING TO THE WILL..SUPOSED TO BE A LEAN ON HIS HOME FOR 180,000...UNDERTAKER TELLS US ONE THING AND COUNTY TELLS US ANOTHER. IS TAKING POA PAY...AND THE COUNTY SAID I COULDNT TAKE IT...WE DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO AT THIS POINT. TOLD TO LOCK HOUSE UP AND GET OUT. AND WAS TOLD TO TAKE THE MONEY OUT. IS THAT RIGHT..CONFUSED AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO...NEED HELP LIVE IN PENNA. SCHULYKILL COUNTY.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/5/2017
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 8 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Sister if she is executor needs to hire lawyer and make application for probate.Once she is appointed she can pay for things out of estate .Lawyer and other costs are paid first along with funeral expenses.POA ceases at death you need the executor to file will for probate and be appointed.You will need lawyer to make application for probate and pay bills and distribute whats left to heirs in will.

PA lawyer referral for probate

The PBA LRS operates Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and can be reached by calling(###) ###-####(for in-Pa. callers only) or(###) ###-####

I am so sorry for your loss and wish you the best here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.

Thanks for rating 5 stars.

OK BUT I WAS BEING PAID FOR POA....AND THE COUNTY TOLD ME I HAD TO PAY ALL THAT BACK AND I DID....WERE THEY WRONG?
HE NO BILLS...EVERYTHING WAS ALWAYS PAID FROM HIS ACCOUNT...

If you had an agreement to be paid here, something in writing you can get paid and you reported it on your taxes as income.If you reported it here I would not repay this.

It is income and if you reported it then it supports claim you were an employee as POA.