Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My father passed away in Florida without a will. He has 2…

Customer Question
Hi, my father passed...

Hi, my father passed away in Florida without a will. He has 2 small accounts bank account and stock account with no beneficiaries worth approx 6K. He had a mutual fund of 160K which he TOD'd to a non family member. He has a lot of medical bills. So do the medical payments come out of the whole estate including the 160K or only the "probate" estate?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Old statements we have from when we cleaned out his house.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If a formal probate is needed for the scottrade stock account of 4100 or if summary administration is ok?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Estate Law
10/5/2017
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 10 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

forgot to mention he's divorced

They only come out of the probate estate here.The mutual fund passed directly by contract and amend beneficiary outside of probate/You have to decide if it is worth it to file probate here if they have a lot of bills it may not be worth it and they died insolvent for probate purposes.It is probably not worth it here to file probate since the bulk of funds were outside probate and creditors.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

thx

You are so welcome thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.