Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My husband and I jointly own everything we have--house,

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I jointly own everything we have--house, cars, furniture, etc. When one of us passes, automatically everything will go to the other. Do we need wills? No step kids, nothing of great value.

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

When items such as vehicles, house, etc. have been purchased, they are always titled in both names.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Estate Law
10/4/2017
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If you are sure that everything you own is either listed as jointly owned or has a beneficiary named (i.e. IRA, 401K, life insurance, etc.), then no, you wouldn't have need of a will.

.

But considering how inexpensive a will is if you went to a site like USLegalforms.com and just bought a standard template, there really isn't any reason not to have one so as to take care of any assets you might later buy, inherit, get as gifts, etc. if those assets happened to not get titled or owned jointly..

.

.

thanks

very quick response. thank you

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much