Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I had my name on bank certificates that my wife had for me…

Customer Question
I had my name on...
I had my name on bank certificates that my wife had for me and a joint bank account although we never married her daughter was power of attorney at the made sure I would get these things in case she died but before she died her daughter died and her granddaughter took over as power of attorney it seems that all certicates and our joint bank accounts was put into into one account for the granddaughter including the joint account we had in both names is that legal to do since I am still living we had been living together for 40 years y wife died feb.7 of this year and I have not been able to collect anything is that legal for the granddaughter to do since my name was on these bank notes.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
Joint accounts had to pass to the other account holder. Power of attorney can not disrupt that and cannot do anything on death. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. the Court can offer money turned over with an accounting. By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement! Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney