Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Live in Brooklyn NY. I live in my mother's house who died…

Customer Question
live in Brooklyn NY. I...
live in Brooklyn NY. I live in my mother's house who died years ago. I pay the taxes and maintain the property. my brother is listed on the deed for survivorship. he abandoned the property and has not declared my mother dead. do I need to go toprobate? he is threatening to put me out!
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
Legally if on deed he had ownership of his share. Her share has to pass by will or intestate absent will in surrogate court. You should probate. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. He cannot lock you out in any event. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!