Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mothers estate is in probate court, due for a final

Hello pearl, my mothers...

Hello pearl, my mothers estate is in probate court, due for a final motion to end, i believe my brother and sisters are trying to eliminate me from her assets. I have been homeless for about 2 years, my brother and sisters are not answereing my calls, where do i go to find out what is going on? Cook County Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

My name is ***** ***** i am doing this for a long time friend from Poland, the proceeding is in Cook County Illinois,

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The only documents are what i found online regarding that Probate Case at the Clerk of the Circuit of Cook County and what he has been telling me. his sister is the representative and she will not return any of his calls for the last 6months, when i was reading the petitions, i noticed that the probate lawyers went to court to change the heirship, i am not an attorney but like i said, my friend has been homeless and therefore does not have a mailing address.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it, just some advice on how i can help him get a roof over his head.

10/2/2017
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You can just contact he local probate court where mother lived and get a copy of the entire probate case. It is all public information and anyone can get a copy of the case file to see where the estate is currently in the process of being settled.

.

But if there was a will, the executor has to follow it and can't deviate from what the will says. If there was no will, then state law controls and all the children should share the estate evenly. The probate judge oversees the case to make sure than everything is done correctly.

.

So you would need to contact whoever is the executor and make sure that they have your current address for any correspondence and provide contact info so they can get in contact with you..

.

But they can't legally cut you out of the will or the estate under the law..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney
Barrister, i did go online and was able to view only the case topic, no details. I tried contacting the estate lawyer but he is not calling me back nor is my sister. I will contact the probate court and try to find out where this stands, thanx

You are very welcome, but you really need to personally go down to the court so you can get a physical copy of the file to see what the status is.. Sometimes the clerks can be a pain over the phone as they sometimes won't take the time to read the case file to you..

.

And you are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

Barrister, Attorney