Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My deceased husband had a workmens comp case started before…

Customer Question
My deceased husband had...

My deceased husband had a workmens comp case started before his death of lung cancer.I am the beneficiary of the suit .His brother is executor of the estate. What happens if his brother wants to take everything. What happens to the beneficiary in this case.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The attorney has all the paper work,Doctors ,people he worked with.All of those sort of thing if that is what you speak of.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/2/2017
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 10 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Please continue
Please go ahead
Want to know can he get rid of attorney who started case and hire his attorney.Will or can I be taken off as beneficiary

No original lawyer has contingent fee so wouldn't be possible to fire him without paying twice.Probate court decides if you are sole beneficiary here or the estate has a piece.Probate judge here has final say on who heirs/beneficiaries are and their respective shares.

Thanks for your patience.

it doesn't matter when case started he wanted me to be beneficiary

It will be determined by the probate judge using date of death here.You may have a marital interest here, it may end up being split.It also depends if you were his sole heir or there were others.But you should have an interest here. I am not able to see all the documents involved but he judge has final say here.