Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

What is the ls.. It not me friend husband passed lift house…

Customer Question
What is the ls ...

What is the ls

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

It not me friend husband passed lift house to her want to now if she has to pay his back child support

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There was a lean on house when he passed to

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Estate Law
9/30/2017
Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 10 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Was your friend's name on the house also? Did the husband have a will?

No will. But her name on home
No it ok

Your friend would automatically own the home and be responsible for any liens on it. If the husband was behind in child support payments, his estate will owe the past-due amount. Once his estate has been opened, his ex-wife, other adult custodian or even state child support enforcement agency may file a claim against his estate with the court for back child support. The executor may prevent the accrual of future child support payments by notifying the courts or state child support enforcement agency of the dad’s death. The estate will generally have to pay the child support obligation before assets are disbursed to you. Possibly, there could be a lien placed on the home for the back child support. I know this answer is not exactly what you wanted to hear. However, it is best to know what can happen. If you want to discuss more, just let me know.

Hello again! Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars for the service I provided to you. Best regards.