Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I live in Texas. My house is currently under contract to…

Customer Question
I live in Texas...

I live in Texas. My house is currently under contract to sell. My wife passed away 2/14/17. I filed Affidavit of Heirship with the county listing no heirs. Should I have listed myself? I Was the affiant filing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Death Certificate

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
9/29/2017
Estate Lawyer: LegalGems, Attorney replied 8 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear of your loss; what is your legal question please? Are you trying to determine if you can list the home for sale?

Am I considered an heir if I was married to the deceased?

Thank you; actually the affidavit is to be filled out by a neutral third party; not an heir;

https://comptroller.texas.gov/forms/53-111-a.pdf

A spouse is an heir- in fact they are the primary heir.

A third party would need to resubmit a form naming the heir (surviving spouse) to rectify the improper filing.

A realtor should be able to help ensure this gets recorded.

All of this can be confusing after dealing with the death of a spouse so mistakes are not uncommon.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Estate Lawyer: LegalGems, Attorney replied 7 months ago

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney