Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Someone told my mom if she goes into a nursing home that…

Customer Question
Someone told my mom...

Someone told my mom if she goes into a nursing home that they will take her whole life insurance policy and cash it in for payment, is that true? she just has medicare and the policy would be used for final expenses

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Settlers life wants her to convert her prudential policy to them so it will be secure and a nursing home cant take her life insurance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/29/2017
Estate Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question.

"Medicaid is a federal and state government program that provides, among many benefits, payment for skilled nursing, rehabilitation and long-term nursing home care. Medicaid eligibility is limited by a term known as countable assets. Life insurance might not count toward the limit. Whether Medicaid takes your life insurance depends upon the type of policy, its cash value, if any, and how you plan prior to applying.

Whole life insurance policies accrue cash value and thus count toward the limit. The only exception is a policy or policies whose total face value does not exceed $1,500. Any other whole life policy whose face and cash value exceeds $1,500 counts and disqualifies an individual. The individual must therefore divest himself of the policy." https://pocketsense.com/medicaid-life-insurance-8395.html

Whole life is considered an asset. These are guidelines for when a forced cash out can occur in a medicaid situation:

"Can Life Insurance Affect Your Medicaid Eligibility?

In order to qualify for Medicaid, you can't have more than $2,000 in assets (in most states). Many people forget about life insurance when calculating their assets, but depending on the type of life insurance and the value of the policy, it can count as an asset.

Life insurance policies are usually either "term" life insurance or "whole" life insurance. If a Medicaid applicant has term life insurance, it doesn’t count as an asset and won't affect Medicaid eligibility because this form of life insurance does not have an accumulated cash value. On the other hand, whole life insurance accumulates a cash value that the owner can access, so it can be counted as an asset.

That said, Medicaid law exempts small whole life insurance policies from the calculation of assets. If the policy's face value is less than $1,500, then it won't count as an asset for Medicaid eligibility purposes. However, if the policy’s face value is more than $1,500, the cash surrender value becomes an available asset.

For example, suppose a Medicaid applicant has a whole life insurance policy with a $1,500 death benefit and a $700 cash surrender value (the amount you would get if you cash in the policy before death). The policy is exempt and won't be used to determine the applicant's eligibility for Medicaid. However, if the death benefit is $1,750 and the cash value is $700, the cash surrender value will be counted toward the $2,000 asset limit.

If you have a life insurance policy that may disqualify you from Medicaid, you have a few options:

• Surrender the policy and spend down the cash value.
  • Transfer ownership of the policy to your spouse or to a special needs trust. If you transfer the policy to your spouse, the cash value would then be part of the spouse's community resource allowance.
  • Transfer ownership of the policy to a funeral home. The policy can be used to pay for your funeral expenses, which is an exempt asset.
  • Take out a loan on the cash value. This reduces the cash value and the death benefit, but keeps the policy in place

https://www.elderlawanswers.com/can-life-insurance-affect-your-medicaid-eligibility-12421

So they could not touch term life insurance, they can an do consider whole life an asset that, unfornatunately, is not exempt.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Thank you for your consideration.

Thank you for using JA! Are you still online with me?

Yes a whole life insurance policy is considered an asset that the nursing home could attach.

"settlers life wants her to convert her prudential policy to them so it will be secure and a nursing home cant take her life insurance." I would not agree.

If she is not already in a nursing home there are other actions she can take to protect her assets.

Are you still online with me?