Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

In California, what is the deadline for the executor of a…

Customer Question
In California, what is...

In California, what is the deadline for the executor of a decedant's will to get that person's bank account records?

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

All documents are present and in order. My question is how long the executor, after the death in question, has to approach the bank for the account records, in order to make an inventory.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. I just need to know that one point of law.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Estate Law
9/28/2017
Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 10 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

There is no such deadline. The executor has to move in a "reasonable" time frame, but no specific deadline is given.

However, the standard time frame for Inventory and Appraisal in CA is 4 months. An inventory and appraisal of the estate includes the accounts of the decedent, making it a indirect deadline of 4 months to access bank account records (for the inventory and appraisal).

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.