Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My aunt died the will, Louisiana, What do I need to do, I…

Customer Question
My aunt died my...

My aunt died my name is ***** ***** will

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

What do I need to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a holographic will

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Estate Law
9/27/2017
Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 10 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

In Louisiana, unlike other states, it is actually called an "olographic" will, without the H.

It's very hard for us to provide an answer to a question as general as yours. Can you be more specific?

Also, are you planning on trying to do this yourself (which is a mistake) or hire a lawyers to assist?

I won't to put the land in my name

I understand, but to do that you have to do some form of probate. In Louisiana it is known as a "succession" and is extremely difficult to do correctly and, if it's not done correctly, it can cost you many thousands of dollars in the future if you try to sell it or get a loan against it.

LA allows olographic wills if they are entirely in the handwriting of the deceased. However, you still have to prove that it is in their handwriting as well as some other things.