Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I was the POA now Executor of her estate my sister is asking…

I was the POA...

I was the POA now Executor of her estate my sister is asking me for a copy of her death certificate however my mom never authorized the policy by signing isn't hid fraud??

Lawyer's Assistant: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.

There isn't anything else because mom stayed with me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?

Yes the policy would be fraudulent my mom indicated this to me.

9/26/2017
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Can you give me a little information about what is going on... You mention a policy, but don't really go into what you mean by that... Are you talking about a life insurance policy that someone had?

.

Are you saying that sister took out a policy on mother's life without her permission?

.

If mother knew about the policy, did she contact the insurer to let them know she didn't agree to it?

.

.

thanks

Hi Mr Barrister, My mother just passed Sep 9th 2017 she lived with me and mother warned me a few years ago that my sister may have a policy her.
my mother never gave her permission for this policy.
She never knew how the insurance carrier was.

Ok, from a legal perspective, mother would have had to have signed something agreeing to allow sister to take out a policy. So I can't say it would be fraud or not as I don't know how she got the policy issued unless mother signed it or she signed mother's name.

.

But it wouldn't harm the estate in any way or cause any issues with the estate being settled as that is a private contract between the insurer and the owner of the policy, sister. You could notify the insurer that mother never signed agreeing to allow a policy if you wanted to and know who the insurer is.

.

However, you don't have to give her a copy of the death certificate if you don't want to and can tell her to contact the Dept of Vital Statistics if she wants one..

.

.

thanks

Thank you for your information.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started