Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

I was the POA now Executor of her estate my sister is asking

me for a copy of...
I was the POA now Executor of her estate my sister is asking me for a copy of her death certificate however my mom never authorized the policy by signing isn't hid fraud??
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: There isn't anything else because mom stayed with me.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?
Customer: Yes the policy would be fraudulent my mom indicated this to me.
9/26/2017
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Can you give me a little information about what is going on... You mention a policy, but don't really go into what you mean by that... Are you talking about a life insurance policy that someone had?

.

Are you saying that sister took out a policy on mother's life without her permission?

.

If mother knew about the policy, did she contact the insurer to let them know she didn't agree to it?

.

.

thanks

Hi Mr Barrister, My mother just passed Sep 9th 2017 she lived with me and mother warned me a few years ago that my sister may have a policy her.
my mother never gave her permission for this policy.
She never knew how the insurance carrier was.

Ok, from a legal perspective, mother would have had to have signed something agreeing to allow sister to take out a policy. So I can't say it would be fraud or not as I don't know how she got the policy issued unless mother signed it or she signed mother's name.

.

But it wouldn't harm the estate in any way or cause any issues with the estate being settled as that is a private contract between the insurer and the owner of the policy, sister. You could notify the insurer that mother never signed agreeing to allow a policy if you wanted to and know who the insurer is.

.

However, you don't have to give her a copy of the death certificate if you don't want to and can tell her to contact the Dept of Vital Statistics if she wants one..

.

.

thanks

Thank you for your information.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
Barrister, Attorney