Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Does having power of attorney allow someone to control who a…

Customer Question
Does having power of...

Does having power of attorney allow someone to control who a person sees or where they go? My sister in Florida has power of attorney for our 95 year old mother and she won't let me see her

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

My mom is in Florida and lives with my sister who has power of attorney not guardianship

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes with adult protective services because my sister and her husband have stolen all my moms money

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Brother in law states the case with adult protective is closed they found no wrong doing which I can't believe

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Estate Law
9/26/2017
Estate Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 10 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. It really depends on the language contained in the POA. What authority is granted depends on the specific language of the Power of Attorney. A person giving a Power of Attorney may make it very broad or may limit it to certain specific acts. In this case, it would be odd if the POA allowed her to prevent you from seeing her. However, the issue appears to be that your mother lives with your sister and if she is in her home, she can simply not allow you inside of her house. She may try and turn this into an issue where she does not want you around and your mother is becoming a victim of your relationship with her.

That's it?

I am happy and able to answer any additional follow up questions which you may have, so please let me know. You asked about the POA, so I shared with you that the scope of it, is what would allow her to do this. Moreover, the issue with her living in your sisters home, is also a direct issue. Please let me know if I can clarify something or anything anything else, as I am here to help.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!