Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

I'm the POA for my mother, who's in an assisted living

I'm the POA for my...
I'm the POA for my mother, who's in an assisted living facility with dementia. I'd like to purchase a condo as an investment property using her funds, since her expenses are now higher than her income, and this would bridge the gap. Should I put the property in her name with me as POA, or transfer it to our joint checking account and then write a check putting it in both our names or even in my name? I want the condo purchase to be a smooth process, so if the POA thing will cause an issue I can take another approach.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

If you are acting on the authority of the POA, you must purchase it in your mother's name. Otherwise, you may be misappropriating funds in breach of your fiduciary duties if you use her money to invest on your behalf.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

OK, I thought you'd say that. But here's the issue. The money is now in a brokerage account with only me as the beneficiary. If I purchase a condo with it, I believe it becomes part of the general estate and is governed by the will, which would mean it belongs half to my sister and half to me. I think I could create an irrevocable trust with me as the beneficiary and list the property within that trust, but my mother's too out of it to sign that at this point. What do you see as the best option under the circumstances?

Unfortunately, anything done under POA has to done for your mother's benefit. If you derive a benefit it could cause a problem and expose you to criminal and civil liability.

So, you may not have an option on this one, if you want to avoid losing the brokerage account.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you doing something which will end in you incurring liability. Especially if you have other family members looking over your shoulder.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?
Loren, Attorney
Loren, Attorney