How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandmother passed away, I can't locate the title to her

This answer was rated:

My grandmother passed away, I can't locate the title to her car. I want to request a copy and then sell the car. I have received form PC-255 with court seal from probate, is there anything else I need to get title? I'm in Connecticut
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Connecticut
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I have death certificate and the PC-255 form
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

My sympathies for the loss of your grandmother.

If the title cannot be located, the legal representative of the estate may apply for a new title; that process is here:

Once the title is received, the representative can sign the title after presenting proof of authority; here is a list of satisfactory proof of authority:


A original certified document of the probate document naming the Administrator or Executor of the estate will be required at the time the vehicle is being registered. Following is a list of acceptable probate court documents for this purpose:

  • PC-160 Decree
  • PC-212B Petitioner's Probate Certificate
  • PC-260 Decree Granting Administration of Probate Will
  • PC-264 or PC-264S Decree/Transfer of Personal Property Without Probate Proceedings
  • PC-450 Fiduciary's Probate Certificate

please see:

for a list of documents needed for the recipient.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I was told to fill out form pc 212, which I did and received form pc 255, which is not on the list of accepted forms for transfer. How do I get pc 264 form?

This form is filed with the court and then they will issue the PC 264 upon request.

Here is the probate clerk's manual - please see page 5

LegalGems and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you