Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I am wondering what the process is about a will if my father…

Customer Question
I am wondering what...

I am wondering what the process is about a will if my father died, left everything to stepmother but when she dies any assets go to all nine chihad seven kids and my stepmother had two

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have a copy of my dad's will. Don't know what the step,other had and she passed away three weeks ago. Her two daughters totally ignore us.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Estate Law
9/22/2017
Estate Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 10 months ago
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed estate attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your issue. When your father passed away, his Will controlled to inherited his assets. From what you are describing, his Will gave everything to your step mother. Once your step mother inherited his assets, those assets became her sole property. Since those assets became her sole property, her Will controls who inherits those assets.

Estate Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 10 months ago

Do you know if a probate has been opened for your step mothers estate?