Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I'm estranged from my family however my father passed this…

Customer Question
I'm estranged from my...

I'm estranged from my family however my father passed this May and no one has made an attempt to reach me. How do I go about getting my inheritance without having to deal with family?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

I'm in Ca. They are in Md

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

My father would not exclude me. 2012 my mother passed I received 50k

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really I just want what my father wants to leave me.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Estate Law
9/21/2017
Estate Lawyer: Expert James, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Attorney

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Do you know for sure if your father had a will?

When my mother passed in 2012 I received 50k. My father estate I estimate approx 400k
I know which sister was executor and where she is at. But don't know which lawyer drew up his last Will and testament

I'm not asking who drew it up. I'm asking if there was a validly executed Will.

Do you know if this has gone to probate?

100% sure there was an executed will.
not sure on 2nd question.
I know prior to his passing all of his affairs would have been in order. Probate I think he would have avoided given our large family.
I mean would not have avoided