Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I have a question about medicaid and supplement insurance.

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about medicaid and supplement insurance. Mom had Medicare, AARP Supplement Ins., and now Medicaid as she is in a nursing home. Her Primary Dr. does not accept medicaid. Would it be wise to keep the supplement and continue paying monthly?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

CT

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I am her POA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, just need advice on that question. Thank you

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
9/21/2017
Estate Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Has your Mother applied and already been approved to receive Medicaid?

She has Medicaid Title 19 since February 2017.

You ask would it be wise. My understanding from what you are saying is that your Mother would like to keep her doctor who does not accept Medicaid. So, if she wants to keep going to the doctor, she has to use her other insurance. Yet if she does this, she will have to pay for the nursing home instead of Medicaid paying for it. How did she qualify for Medicaid yet have money to pay the nursing home? I am sure I am missing something here. What is your concern?

I should of been more specific. She receives social security once a month. She was in rehab and is now starting long term at a nursing home. Medicare covered so many days and now since she is staying long term the medicaid will have to start and they will keep her SS. She has no savings account or other assets. She had just enough money a month to pay bills, rent etc.and I had to help out also with money. She had a social worker that got her on medicaid as she qualified for it. Yes she wants to keep her current doctor who does not accept medicaid. The nursing home knows she has title 19 and I believe it gets transferred over to nursing home coverage. The nursing home says they will pay her supplement out of her S.S. and keep the rest as payment towards the NH. I was wondering if she still needed it to pay her primary doctor who does not accept it. I believe you already answered my question telling me if wants to keep the same doctor I need to keep that supplement.

Thank you for the clarification. Yes. You would need the supplement to pay the doctor. However, you would want to make sure that Medicaid would cover her medicines or whether the supplement would cover her medicines. Possibly, Medicaid would not cover the medicines because the doctor is not in the network. Also, you want to make sure that if she uses the out of network doctor and the supplemental insurance that this would not hinder her getting Medicaid coverage for the Nursing Home. It does not sound like it will, but possibly you can confirm with the NH that it will not deter any coverage.

I hope this answers your question. If you need further help, just let me know.

Okay thanks you much appreciated.

You are welcome.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney