Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mom signed a quit claim deed dated year ago b4 she passed…

Customer Question
My mom signed a...

My mom signed a quit claim deed dated year ago b4 she passed but never recordered it what do i do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, only death certificate

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont tbink so

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Estate Law
9/19/2017
Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 11 months ago
socrateaser, Attorney

If your mother's signature on the deed is acknowledged by a notary public, then you can simply record the quitclaim and you will be the property owner.

If not, then you would have to petition the court for a determination that the quitclaim is authentic. Once you obtain that determination, you can use the judgment as confirmation of the deed's validity, and record the judgment, which would make you the lawful property owner.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!