Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Is it a conflict of interest for a person to use his

Customer Question
personal attorney to prepare his...
Is it a conflict of interest for a person to use his personal attorney to prepare his Father's will and power of attorney. Or should the Father have his own attorney?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Estate Law
9/19/2017
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

Is it a conflict of interest for a person to use his personal attorney to prepare his Father's will and power of attorney.

.

No, it is not a conflict of interest at all... It is common for one attorney to represent several family members in various tasks if they feel comfortable with that attorney. The attorney just maintains specific attorney client confidentiality with each person unless they tell the attorney it is ok to discuss with other family members.

.

So the attorney may prepare multiple estate planning documents for multiple family members, but he has a duty to keep each client's information private unless that person chooses to include others..

.

.

thanks