Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

What are considered normal and customary fees for a personal…

Customer Question
What are considered normal...

What are considered normal and customary fees for a personal representative in administration of a will.

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Arizons

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have the will that names me as executor for my daughter. So far I had to get a bond, pay funeral costs, will have to pay the court for the official appointment as personal rep. Also have been keeping logs of mileage and business conducted along with time consumed by this endeavor.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. My grandchildren are so greedy. They want to everything she had including furniture, life insurance, 401Ks and even want funds where no beneficiaries were named. They want me to stop calling creditors and say they aren't paying her bills nor her taxes owed. I am standing firm and you can't imagine the things I have been called. I've been threatened with a lawsuit because they think I'm stealing from them...:

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Estate Law
9/19/2017
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

If the will doesn't set executor compensation, the the law allows "reasonable compensation"..

.

Determination of executor’s fees in Arizona are based on § 14-3719 of the Arizona state code, entitled “Compensation of personal representative.” That statute provides:

“A personal representative is entitled to reasonable compensation for his services. If a will provides for compensation of the personal representative and there is no contract with the decedent regarding compensation, he may renounce the provision before qualifying and be entitled to reasonable compensation [as determined by the Court].”

.

With that said, even though it is pretty vague, normally a fee of up to 5% is considered reasonable, depending on the size of the estate... For larger estates, the percentage goes down as the compensation goes up..

.

And you have a legal duty to pay all creditors before the heirs get anything.. so you are doing the right and the legal thing here..

.

.

thanks