Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Resident. A man died owing me $100K and it was recorded in…

Customer Question
I am California resident...

I am California resident. A man died owing me $100K and it was recorded in Burke Cty, ND that I was to be paid. Now learned his deceased wife was the owner of the mineral rights, and died not leaving any will or mention in the trust of this. Then he borrowed from me and died. When this goes to probate in ND will the mineral rights be given to their children or will it be given to him, as she died first. This is a big concern for me not getting any money.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Dakota for the probate and the mineral rights are there also. She and he died in California.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Signed and recorded in the county records in North Dakota that he owes me $100K.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2017
Estate Lawyer: LegalGems, Attorney replied 8 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

In ND, when a spouse dies with children of the marriage, the surviving spouse inherits everything under the laws of intestate succession.

So if the first spouse passes, and then the second spouse passes, the first spouse's estate would be probated, with any money being paid into the surviving spouse's estate (so long as they survived by 72 hours). So if there are any creditors of the second surviving spouse, the creditor can submit a claim to the probate court and be paid from those assets.

I hope this helps!

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

will Probate check for recorded money owed by this person or how would I follow through to know about the probate.

No, the court won't actively check for such things.

The personal representative is supposed to send a notice to all known creditors, and to also publish in the local newspaper -so one could check the local paper at least weekly;

one could also proactively send a request for payment to a personal representative once the surviving spouse passes (if they have knowledge of it through a friend for example).

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney