Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

How can I obtain a copy of my fathers will? My father died

march of this year. I...
How can I obtain a copy of my fathers will? My father died march of this year. I tried a couple times to reach out to my step-mother, but I get no reply, return call, nothing.
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: NV
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I don't have anything, I just that there should be a life insurance policy based on conversations per my fathers death
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know, I might have a question or two after they are able to answer my first question.
9/18/2017
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question.

My deepest condolences for your loss. Where in Nevada did your father reside at the time of his passing?

Las Vegas
Chat is fine. I'm around other people I don't care to hear my buiss

No worries the phone call request comes from the site and not from me. I am happy to continue in this format.

The Will needs to be filed with the probate court in the County where your dad resided at the time of his death. So regardless of whether she wants to provide a copy you have ever right to check with the county. Give me one moment to provide the link for you.

Ty

General overview of the law

"How Probate Works in Nevada

Probate is the official way that an estate gets settled under the supervision of the court. A person, usually a surviving spouse or an adult child, is appointed by the court if there is no Will, or nominated by the deceased person's Will. Once appointed, this person, called an executor or Personal Representative, has the legal authority to gather and value the assets owned by the estate, to pay bills and taxes, and, ultimately, to distribute the assets to the heirs or beneficiaries.

The purpose of probate is to prevent fraud after someone's death. Imagine everyone stealing the castle after the Lord dies. It's a way to freeze the estate until a judge determines that the Will is valid, that all the relevant people have been notified, that all the property in the estate has been identified and appraised, that the creditors have been paid and that all the taxes have been paid. Once all of that's been done, the court issues an Order distributing the property and the estate is closed." https://www.legalconsumer.com/inheritancelaw/topic.php?TopicID=20&ST=NV

p>

Clark County Probate Court, Phone

Is this public record?

I can also provide a link for local Attorneys that provide FREE consultations if run into any issues. As family you have the right to ask for a copy.

Ok ty very much!

You are most welcome.

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/probate-estate-administration/clark-county/nevada

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Thank you for your consideration.

Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Was there a problem with my service?

Attorney2
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney