Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My elderly father is thinking about selling his home and…

Customer Question
My elderly father is...

My elderly father is thinking about selling his home and splitting up the money between my 5 siblings and I. It will be around 85k, will I have to pay taxes on it since he will be alive still?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

I am in California.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I am not sure what you mean. He started talking about this yesterday. The house is currently a part of his family trust. He wants to sell and split the money between my siblings and I. Basically giving us our inheritance before he has died.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I don't think so.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Estate Law
9/18/2017
Estate Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. There will be no tax consequences to either your dad or any of you siblings. First, pursuant to Section 102 of the Internal Revenue Code, gifts are not income and thus do not need to be reported on the income tax return. There should be no gift tax consequences. Recipients of gifts are not subject to gift tax. And, there should also be no gift tax due from the donor. Each donor can give $14,000 per year per person under the annual gift exclusion. In addition to that, for any amounts in excess of the $14,000 in a year, each person has a $5,490,000 lifetime exemption....which means a person can give a cumulative amount of up to $5,490,000 in gifts over and above the $14,000 annual gift exclusion amount without incurring gift tax....the donor must file a gift tax return to let the IRS know how much of the lifetime exemption is being used, but there will be no gift tax until cumulative additional gifts have exceeded the $5,490,000.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!