Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Do I have to have a lawyer to set up a power of attorney for…

Customer Question
Do I have to...

Do I have to have a lawyer to set up a power of attorney for my 95 year old mother who is mentally ok but she is pretty well home bound

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arkansas but she doesn't own any real estate, this would just be for her Checking account and doctors

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Estate Law
9/17/2017
Estate Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

There is no legal requirement to have an attorney draft a power of attorney for your mother. As long as you can get an acceptable form and have it signed in the presence of a notary, the POA should be legally valid. That said, having a local attorney handle the execution of the POA does give you a third party who can state whether or not your mom was mentally stable at the time of the execution of the agreement....and would ensure that your mom signs legally sufficient documents.

Can I get the forms downloaded
Can I download the forms from the internet ?
Are you still there?
This was supposed to be $5 and you are charging $42 !

I apologize for the delayed response. I logged off to go to church.

It is possible to download the forms from the internet......you will just have to make sure they are state-specific. You're likely best served to have a local lawyer prepare the document and also attend to having the document notarized.