How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 39174
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm am living in my deceased grandparents house and paying

This answer was rated:

I'm am living in my deceased grandparents house and paying property taxes. The title is still in my gp's name (14 yrs now). My mother refuses to insure the house and will not sign a waiver for me to purchase HO insurance. I have made thousands of dollars in improvements and I'm concerned that if something happens I will be left with nothing. Is there another way I can obtain homeowners insurance?
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Texas
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I pay the taxes to my mother by check and note them for property taxes. I have receipts for improvements over the years.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have tried to purchase the house, but she keeps stalling. I also pay all my uncle's utilities (his house is on the back of the property. I have done this for 14 years. My mother and uncle were the only two children from my grandparents.


You can't purchase insurance unless an insurer is willing to sell it to you. However, you could petition the probate court to administrate the property and have title transferred to the bona fide heir(s) -- whomever they are. If one of them is your mother, then you could simultaneously seek reimbursement from the estate for the value of your improvements, and assuming that you prevail, the court may order the property sold to recover its value so as to pay your claim.

This could lead to a settlement, under which you would share title to the property (to avoid selling the property) -- and of course, once your name is ***** ***** you can purchase insurance.

It's certainly not a convenient process, but if you really want to protect your interest, then you need to get the legal "ducks all in a row."

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser and 3 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you