Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My wife of six years died August 1, having collapsed the…

Customer Question
Hi - My wife...

Hi - My wife of six years died August 1, having collapsed the previous day. She died cash poor, but land rich. The latter was to be purhased on August 4, but at the present is on hold pending appointment of an administrator to handle the estate. I've provided a power of attorney for him to represent me in that regard. Intestate rules here in the UK are as follows: 250,000 off the top to the surviving spouse (me) plus fifty percent of the remainder. The remainder to be divided between the two sons, no provision for grandchildren. Debts faced by the estate will include a substantial mortgage on the property (all owned and held in the name of my deceased spouse), and a substantial debt to me (approximately 300,000 dollars

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes, England, but my question will relate not to inheritance, but to monies do me from the estate, and what U.S. regulations I have to meet, if any in repatriating the funds to my account in the US

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Regular monthly bank statements showing the transfer of funds from my U.S. bank account to my now deceased wife in the UK.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, intestate inheritance regulations here provide that the surviving spouse receives up to 250,000 pounds off the top of the estate, after UK taxes, and fifty percent of the remainder of the estate, with the remaining fifty percent going to the children of the deceased, nothing to the grandchildren. I intend to refuse the "inheritance" having it divided amongst the 7 grandchildren. Thus, I intend to come out of the estate with no inheritance, but repayment of the "loan"

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/16/2017
Estate Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 9 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, and my condolences on your loss. To be clear, was your wife a U.S. citizen or legal resident?

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney