Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mother did not probate her will as she and Dad, with ther…

Customer Question
My mother did not...

My mother did not probate her will as she and Dad, with ther lawyers put everything in joint ownership and most of the assets were transferred out to a trust I manage.

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

I hit the enter button too fast. They forgot one piece of property willed to my father and his brother and Sister in SC. He lived and died in SC. My Mother lives in SC. I live in GA. They are trying to sell the property in and split the third of the proceeds to my mother who has directed them to send it to me and let me distribute it to my bother sister and myself through the trust. They say they can not sell the property without probating my fathers will and my mother refuses to do so as it has been 5-6 years since his death.I have limited power of attorney of the matter of this property and I manage the trust. The lawyers for the sale ssay they have to all it off and my uncle may have to take measures to force the probate of my fathers will.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have my great Uncle's will listing my Father, my uncle and aunt as equal shares.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/15/2017
Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
what can I answer for you?
Is there anyway around the probate as my Uncle and Aunt really need to sell the property. Of course my brother Sister and I get to Share the thirds as my mother does not want anything to do with it and has told them to deal with me. I have limited power of attorney over her interest in this piece of property. My Dad's name was Daniel L Anderson Sr , the property is in Daniel L Anderson, ***** ***** and Judi Stamps names. My name just happens to be Daniel L Anderson as I was the Jr.
The revocable Trust he set up is in the Name of Daniel L and Uta P Anderson. I am the trust manager.

Assets under the trust need not be probated, but if passing directly from the will, probate would be needed.

Estate Lawyer: LegalGems, Attorney replied 8 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney

I am sorry to hear you are having to deal with this;

unfortunately in order for property to pass under the terms of the trust, the title would have to be held in the trust's name.

If that is not the case, then unfortunately the property would need to be probated.

That will provide clear title.

I am sorry I do not have an alternative that could be proposed.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney