Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I need an Oregon Estate/Probate to clarify if there is any…

I need an Oregon Estate/Probate...
I need an Oregon Estate/Probate to clarify if there is any difference when it comes to compelling the Trustee to pay beneficiaries according to the instructions in the trust. I have already had the verbage in the trusts verified in understood by a California lawyer but I want to make sure it's not different in Oregon as that is where the will was drawn.
9/14/2017
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

CA and OR law is similar in that the trustee acts as a fiduciary-what this means is that the trustee must disburse funds in accordance with the directions of the trust.

The trust document is controlling unless the court rules otherwise (generally only if challenged)

LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
Hi there. Do I have to get an attorney in the same state the will was drawn (Oregon) to send a follow up demand letter, or can the attorney be from CA?

It is best to have an attorney in whatever jurisdiction the property is being probated (so where the court is located). This is usually the decedent's last residence.