How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5211
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a widow living out of the US receive deceased husband's

Customer Question

Can a widow living out of the US receive deceased husband's benefits? TIA
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: NJ
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Certificate of Defunction, SS of deceased.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Does widow need to get a SS card? She is a foreign citizen. Does she need to pay taxes on SS benefits, if any?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Generally, there are no laws against somebody living outside of the United States and receiving proceeds from a will. There is no requirement that a person has to be a US citizen to receive property from a will. The only thing that I could possibly think that would prohibit this is if there is some sort of law in the country where the beneficiary lives that restricts assets being received from the United States.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.